« previous | next »

1213 Spaight Street

2009-11-24

 Welcome to 1213 Spaight Street. The Owners, Steve and Holly, live in the home with their two Ragdoll cats, Chester and Sophie. 

 

The raspberry home on Spaight is a  splendid Queen Anne Victorian masterpiece that is like no other in the neighborhood. Step inside, and it feels like you are stepping into the 1800's. Steve and Holly have carefully restored every intricate detail of this ornate home to the original character of the Victorian era. It’s no wonder they received the 2004 Madison Trust for Historic Preservation Award and were featured in the 2003 Wisconsin State Journal "Painted Ladies" article. 

 

The home was built in 1902 by a German immigrant, name not known, and originally served two families. Today the property is a single family residence, but Steve and Holly have kept the original floor plan. 

 

Steve's parents purchased the home in 1947 and Steve enjoyed watching the neighborhood change during his childhood. During the renovation in his adult years, Steve was granted 2 bricks to keep as memoirs of the original cobblestones that paved Spaight Street. 

 

After purchasing the home in 1947, Steve’s father began renovations right away. The first priority was replacing the basement dirt floors with bricks used from the demolition of the old Marquette school. Steve’s father then replaced the coal burning furnace with a forced air system. When World War II ended, Steve’s grandmother moved into the family home and the attic was finished off to create living space for her.  Finally, two enclosed porches were removed to allow better sun exposure into the main living area. 

 

During Steve’s childhood in the home, he fondly remembers “Sam the Garbage Man” walking around the back of each home and faithfully picking up the trash every week, personal milk and butter deliveries to the front door, street sweepers, neighbors spending hours to polish their banisters, and when candy cost 2 cents and the candy store now occupied by the Weary Traveler restaurant. 

 

When Steve and Holly decided to make the house their personal residence, they began more extensive renovations. The first priority was removing 3.6 tons of asbestos siding that revealed the original wood siding and gingerbread in the peak!  There are now more than ten exterior colors! Since then, they have stripped most of the original woodwork, created a gas fireplace with a beautiful antique mantel, replaced the corbels at the roofline, added central air, updated all electrical service, and completely renovated the kitchen with cherry cabinetry and a custom tile mural. The cement front walkway was replaced with paver bricks to assist in bringing the home back to its era. The painted white front doors were stripped and refinished to the original wood. To complete the renovation, Holly and Steve also commissioned a local artist to paint murals throughout the home.